Lightweight, diamond-type, high-tensile, steel frame
- features optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design
- frame features a mix of both solid & rubber engine mounts
- Electrostatic paint helps prevent corrosion
The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Despite its supersport styling, the R3 offers excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1380 mm (54.3") wheelbase
- 25 degrees of rake & 95 mm of trail
- 50 / 50 front to rear weight distribution
- chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling
Tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
37 mm KYB upside-down (inverted) fork offers 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel.
- plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the fork tubes & seals
Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension with 125 mm (4.9") of wheel travel.
- features a single KYB rear shock with 7 levels of preload adjustability
- adjustable design allows rider to tailor preload settings to match load & road condition
ABS-equipped 298 mm floating front disc brake squeezed by a twin-piston caliper.
- provides solid stopping power
- brake force & feel are tailored towards new riders
ABS-equipped 220 mm floating rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight, single-piston, slide-type caliper.
Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS provides excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels.
- front wheel size is MT2.75-17 fitted with a 110/70-17 tire
- rear wheel is MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire
- Lightweight hollow axles front & rear.
Clip-on style handlebars.
- provide a supersport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp
- Handlebar position is 22 mm lower than previous model
14-litre fuel tank with new styling adopted from R1 and R6 models.
- offers a slim design with great knee grip
- "reserve" portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate)
- tank is steel with plastic covers, which can reduce costs in the event of damage
Separate rider & passenger seats with low 780 mm (30.7") seat height.
- offer excellent comfort
- narrow-design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground
- passenger seat can be removed & replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired
Feature-rich liquid crystal (LCD) multi-function meter.
- data includes speedometer, bar tachometer, fuel meter, odometer, tripmeters (2), fuel trip meter, gear position, flasher indicators, clock, temperature meter, fuel economy, oil trip meter, ABS indicator, adjustable shift timing light and high beam indicator
- Warning lights: oil pressure and engine trouble
- back lighting is adjustable
Race inspired full fairing.
- New design inspired by larger R-series models
- New design translates to a 7 percent reduction in drag and an 8 km/h (5 mph) increase in top speed
Race-derived air intake duct directs flow to the radiator
New LED headlights with updated design.
- Brilliant rear LED tail light
- unique running / brake light display