Gravity cast, aluminum Deltabox frame
- designed to offer an optimized rigidity balance to maximize handling & suspension performance. Frame provides a balance of strength, rigidity & tuned flex
- engine is a stressed member with rigid mounts
- benefits include reduced weight, excellent high-speed stability & cornering characteristics, excellent traction / drive characteristics exiting a corner and a greater freedom in choosing or changing a line through a turn
Detachable magnesium cast rear subframe
- reduces weight
- allows easier rear shock access & reduces costs in the event of damage
Polished, lightweight aluminum "upward truss-type" swingarm
- provides great torsional rigidity for excellent rear wheel traction & control
- swingarm length is 570 mm
- design & length help reduce effects of chain tensioning during hard acceleration
- swingarm is polished aluminum & clear coated (not painted)
Key chassis geometry figures:
- 1405 mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 102 mm of trail
- 56 degree maximum lean
Electronically adjustable, premium Ohlins "Electronic Racing Suspension" with 120 mm (4.7") of wheel travel front & rear.
- "ERS" further enhances the performance potential of the R1M with electronically controlled independent damping front & rear
- spring preload (front & rear) are set manually... 15 turns of front preload & 9 mm of threaded rear spring preload
- based on data from IMU & various sensors, the Suspension Control Unit (SCU) makes automatic, independent adjustments of both front & rear suspensions' compression & rebound damping based on real time riding conditions
- SCU (suspension control unit) calculates the ideal damping for the front & rear suspensions
- ERS has a choice of "Automatic" or "Manual" modes. Within these 2 modes there is also a selection of 3-running modes each, for a total of six different settings to fit rider preferences or track conditions.
- Two of the "Automatic" modes have fine adjustment functions for damping force
- Manual mode cancels the semi - active damping & reverts to a "tune-able" traditional suspension with a significant adjustment range
Electric steering damper
ABS equipped, radial mount, 4-piston, mono-block calipers squeeze fully floating 320mm dual front discs.
- incredible braking performance with excellent control & lever feedback.
- radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- Nissin radial master cylinder
- stainless steel mess brake lines
- 6-position adjustable brake lever
Single piston, slide-type Nissin rear caliper squeezes a lightweight 220mm disc.
Front & rear brakes feature Yamaha's latest anti-lock brake (ABS) & variable unified brake (UBS) technology.
- main benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or braking on wet or slippery surfaces
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates the hydraulic brake pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
- UBS system "unifies or links" the front & rear brakes when the front brake is applied
- applying the front brake will engage the UBS and to a varying degree will apply some rear brake force too. The amount of rear brake force is based on the attitude & lean angle of the bike.
- if only the rear brake is applied, the UBS will not apply any front wheel brake force
Super lightweight, die cast magnesium 10-spoke mag wheels.
- over 1 kg of weight savings Vs. the '14 wheels (last generation)
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight & contributes to excellent suspension & handling performance
- front rim size is MT3.50 x 17, rear rim is MT6.00 x17
- R1M features a 200 series rear tire... 200/55ZR17
Polished, lightweight, 17 litre aluminum fuel tank.
- tank provides excellent knee grip for hard braking & easy manoeuvrability
- elongated shape helps to centralize mass & reduces variance in riding feel as the fuel load (weight) changes
- 3 litre reserve capacity (fuel trip meter activates)
- R1M tank is polished & clear coated (not painted)
Super light, trick carbon fiber body work including front fender & fairing.
- wind tunnel designed windshield offers excellent aerodynamics & features a "screw less" design
- air resistance(fairing) has been reduced by 8% compared to '14 model (last generation)
LED headlights & high intensity LED position lights.
- create a "face" never seen before on a motorcycle & provides stylish & unique look for the R1
- excellent illumination & visibility
- reduced power consumption
Fully digital instrument panel with TFT liquid crystal display.
- displays have been concentrated into a single 4.2-inch screen that adopts a fully transmissive Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid crystal display that reduces reflections & glare
- white or black backgrounds can be selected
- auto brightness adjustment based on available ambient light
- 2-modes are available street & track
- street display mode functions include; speedo, bar style tach, odometer, dual trip meters, gear position, intake air temp, coolant temp, instant & average fuel efficiency, clock, fuel consumed, fuel trip meter (appears when fuel switches to reverse - 3 litres remaining), peak rpm indicator, front brake pressure indicator, acceleration indicator, lap timer, ERS indicator & selected YRC setting info
- track mode functions include; race tach setting (tach starts at 8,000 rpm), lap number, lap timer (up to 40 laps), stop watch, gear position, speed & most of the above street displays including YRC setting info
Immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of "ride away" theft.
- system must recognize the "coded ignition key" in order for the unit to start
- if the immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key, the ignition system & starter will not function, even if the ignition is forced into the on position