Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces championship winning horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000 rpm.
- engine meets or exceeds the new Euro EU-4 emissions & noise standards
Compact "pent roof" cylinder head design features ultra-lightweight titanium valves.
- 27 mm intake valves & 23 mm exhaust valves... all are lightweight titanium
- 23.75 degree total valve angle provides a compact combustion chamber
- single intake valve springs reduce weight & friction for optimum high rpm performance
- lightweight aluminum valve retainers
Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
High flow intake & exhaust ports mean excellent power delivery at all rpms.
Lightweight magnesium cylinder head cover & crankcase case covers.
Direct ceramic composite plated "liner less" stand alone cylinder (cylinder is not part of the upper crankcase).
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
Lightweight, short skirt, forged pistons.
- excellent durability & reduced mechanical vibration
- lightweight design aids in fast engine response
- friction reducing, thin design top rings
- lightweight tapered piston pins reduce weight
- inertial crank mass has been optimized for fast throttle response & acceleration
- crank journal bearings feature oil holes for increased oil supply for excellent durability
High lift / high performance, hollow camshafts.
- designed to maximize power output across the rev range
- side driven design helps reduce engine width
Crankcases feature a "tri-axis" layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
- creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
- compact engine allows for optimum engine placement in the frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
Closed loop, 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system with twin injectors.
- twin injector (primary & secondary) system is used on our MotoGP M1 race bike & YZF-R1
- primary injectors are located in the throttle bodies, secondary injectors located in the air box very near the computer controlled intake funnels
- both primary & secondary injectors utilize 12 spray holes to maximize the atomization process
- secondary injectors, located inside the air box, begin to function at mid rpms (6,000 to 7,000rpm) thru to redline
- special short intake tracts enhance higher rpm power
- "closed loop system" uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust gases & automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include instant throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idle during warm up & reduced emissions
Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) system.
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- system features throttle position sensor (TPS) & D.C. motor driven throttle valves
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) system.
- intake funnels / stacks move between 2 -preset positions depending on engine rpm
- transition rpm is approximately 13,500 rpms; funnel movement takes less than 0.3 of a second
- electronic servo motor controls the funnels / stacks.
- YCC-I provides the best of both worlds; solid low rpm torque & power combined with an amazing high rpm rush
Yamaha "D-Mode" variable throttle control system ... 3 modes available.
- enables rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or conditions
- standard mode offers throttle response well suited to a variety of riding conditions, emphasizing linear throttle control
- A-mode enhances throttle response allowing riders to enjoy even sportier engine performance
- B -mode offers softer, slower throttle response well suited for wet or slippery riding conditions
Traction control system ... 6 modes available plus off.
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system & utilizes same wheel sensors as ABS system
- when system senses rear wheel spin it intervenes in the following order:
1) retards ignition timing,
2) modifies / limits fuel injection duration
3) closes the throttle butterflies via YCC-T to reduce power until wheel spin matches the chosen setting
- 6 modes plus off: minimal to maximum intervention as per rider choice. Maximum intervention is well suited for slippery conditions.
- TCS button is handlebar mounted; status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
7.6 litre air box utilizes a high flow viscous paper type air filter.
Ram air induction system.
- features centrally located intake duct delivering cool, "force-fed" air which pressures the air box & increases power output at higher speeds
- straight shot induction from centrally located fairing duct to air box without bends or turns
Close ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power delivery & maximum acceleration.
- gear widths, splines & engagement dogs have been optimized to handle the R6's power
- gears use flat contact-type engagement dogs for smooth, positive shifting & great durability.
- pre-wired for accessory quick shifter
Slipper or back limiter clutch assembly.
- reduces the effects of engine braking & improves rear wheel control by eliminating rear wheel hop or chatter when down shifting under hard braking
Accessory quick shifter ready.
- allows for faster upshifts by eliminating the need to close the throttle or pull in the clutch
- works with standard shift pattern
- reduces wear & tear on the clutch & transmission
- easy plug-and-play installation (part number: BN6-E81A0-V0-00)
Wet sump oil lubrication system with liquid-cooled oil cooler.
- oil quantity has been optimized to reduce internal frictional loses caused by "oil drag"
- liquid-cooled oil cooler ensures consistent engine temperatures for maximum performance & extended service life
High capacity cooling system.
- curved radiator provides more surface cooling area than a flat rad for excellent cooling efficiency
- ring-type fan provides increased airflow (and cooling) versus a standard cooling fan
Maintenance-free Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
Direct ignition coils, iridium dual electrode spark plugs & high-output magneto.
- ignition coils are integrated into plug caps, significantly reducing weight & complexity
"Mid ship" 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system.
- maximizes engine performance & centralizes mass for light, agile handling
- header pipe diameter & length have been optimized for optimum flow
- System features three, 3-way honeycomb catalyzers to reduce exhaust emissions. The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU so it can adjust for the optimum fuel/air mixture. The "mid ship" titanium muffler is located low in the chassis to central mass & lower the center of gravity for incredible handling.
Yamaha's EXUP system (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).
- part of the mid ship exhaust system
- utilizes a titanium body & butterfly valves that reduce the "blow back" phenomenon caused by "valve overlap"
- design reduces weight & maximizes cornering clearance
- EXUP system helps eliminates "flat spots" in the power band & reduces emissions
High powered 32 bit electronic control unit actually contains three ECUs to control the FI system, YCC-T & YCC-I systems & ignition mapping.
Air injection system (AIS ... not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox frame offers an optimized rigidity balance for incredibly light & agile handling.
- MotoGP inspired innovation that Yamaha calls a "straight frame concept", meaning top spars of the frame lie as close to possible to the frame's torsional axis (the line connecting the head pipe to the swingarm pivot point).
- ram air duct passes through the frame at the head pipe for a straight ram air effect
- mix of mold castings & pressed aluminum plates make up the frame
- engine is a fully stressed chassis member allowing for a super-light main frame design
New, slim design detachable CF die cast magnesium rear sub frame.
- sub-frame is 20 mm narrower at seat - tank junction
- new narrower sub-frame works in conjunction with new seat for quick, easy rider movements
- detachable design allows easier rear shock access & can be replaced in the event of damage
Lightweight, aluminum "gull wing" type swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- mix of castings & pressed plates for optimum rigidity
- swingarm pivot position has been optimized to reduce the "squat" tendencies caused by drive chain reaction to hard throttle openings
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
Key chassis geometry figures:
- 1380 mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 97mm of trail and a 52.5% front & 47.5% rear weight distribution
- 57 degree maximum lean angle
New, fully adjustable, R1 based, 43mm inverted front fork with 120 mm (4.7") of wheel travel.
- incredible suspension performance with excellent "feedback"
- inverted design benefits include; reduced "unsprung" weight, reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps & optimized rigidity
- adjustments include: spring preload, high speed compression damping, low speed compression damping & rebound damping. Settings are specific to the R6.
- all adjusters are located on top of the fork caps for fast, easy access
- adjustments allow the rider to tune suspension to match riding style & road or track conditions
- new, 25 mm front axle
Revised, fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension utilizes a new KYB piggyback shock with 120mm (4.7") of wheel travel.
- adjustments include: spring preload, high & low speed compression damping and rebound damping adjustability
- piggyback desgn allows room for adjusters & helps to keep the shock cooler for consistent damping performance
ABS equipped, radial mount, mono-block 4-piston calipers squeeze new, larger 320mm dual front discs.
- radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- aluminum disc carriers reduce weight
- Nissin master cylinder provides excellent front brake lever feel & feedback
ABS equipped, lightweight 220mm rear disc brake is squeezed by a single-piston caliper.
Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
New lightweight, 5-spoke cast aluminum 17" wheels.
- reduce unsprung weight by making hub & spokes a single structural unit
- special casting technique makes the rim section substantially lighter & stronger
- front rim size is MT3.50 x 17, rear rim is MT5.50 x17
New, 17-litre aluminum fuel tank.
- over 1 kg weight savings Vs last year's steel tank
- provides excellent rider mobility (narrower seat-fuel tank junction)
- reserve portion of the tank is 3.4 liters (low fuel light illuminates)
- internal electric fuel pump
All new, ultra-sleek, YZF-M1 MotoGP inspired front fairing.
- 8 % improvement in aerodynamic efficiency Vs. '16 model
- centrally located ram air duct
- most aerodynamic production motorcycle ever produced by Yamaha
- windshield is 50 mm (2") higher than last generation...
New LED main headlights & LED position lighting.
- LEDs use less power allowing for a smaller ACM (smaller ACM means less power losses)
- LED lights offer excellent visibility
- LED lights offer extended service life
New design, separate rider & passenger seats.
- new rider seat enhances the narrower sub-frame for fast, easy rider movements
New, compact race inspired multi-function analogue & digital instrumentation cluster.
- readouts include; analog tach, digital speedometer, dual trip meters, gear position indicator, low fuel warning light, fuel trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), clock, stop watch, D-mode & traction control indicators, coolant temp, outside air temp, instant& average fuel consumption & a self -diagnostic mode
- programmable shift light & stop watch/lap timer
- adjustable back lighting
New design, LED taillight for excellent visibility.
Immobilizer ignition system to reduce the possibility of "ride away" theft.
- system must recognize the "coded ignition key" in order for the unit to start
- if immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key, the ignition system & starter will not function, even if the ignition is forced into the on position
Accessory ready Communication Control Unit (CCU):
- CCU is Yamaha's data acquisition unit... a great tool for track day & race enthusiasts
- works with IOS & Android platforms
- parameters recorded include: traction-control activation, front & rear ABS activation, lean angle, engine speed, wheel speeds, throttle position, gear position, front & rear brake pressures, coolant temperature and lap times
- information also notes position on the race track
- possible to overlay multiple laps & share data with other R6 riders